We are a stronger community when all families join and actively participate in the PTA. The PTA is a great way for parents, teachers and staff to enrich the experience of all our students. A membership to the PTA costs $25 per family.
Membership dues account for less than 15% of our annual budget and we ask families to consider making a donation to help us fill the gap. In years passed, we have suggested that families donate $100 to the PTA. Because we have planned for additional fundraising opportunities this year, we have lowered the suggested donation to $50. However, please select an amount that works best for your family and remember there are lots of ways to support the PTA — either financially or by donating your time or expertise.
Remember, the BMES PTA is a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and your donation may be tax deductible. Please consider the PTA as part of your charitable giving.
How to Join the PTA?
You can join the PTA online and update your Bells Mill Directory information at the same time through AtoZ Connect. If you don’t remember your password, choose the “Forgot Password?” link. If you are new to Bells Mill and don’t have an AtoZ account, choose the “Don’t have an account? Signup Now” link.
If you would prefer to join using a paper form, please print the 2019-2020 Family Membership Form, with a check made payable to Bells Mill PTA to the PTA basket in the front office.
Why Join the PTA?
As we’re all well aware, today more than ever, schools are challenged to provide every child with the best education. MCPS is cutting their budget while federal and state requirements are growing. Our school is being challenged to do more with less.
What can you do? More than 30 years of research has proven that children do better when their parents are involved both at home and in school. Grades are higher. Test scores rise. Self-esteem grows. Schools improve.
These are powerful outcomes from your active involvement in your child’s education. You know the benefits and want to make a difference, but how can you be more actively involved? It’s simple: join the BMES Parent Teacher Association today! Our highly active PTA has a place for everyone who wants to be involved in their child’s education. Don’t have time for PTA? Your dues go a long way toward enriching your child’s educational experience at BMES.
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what is happening at Bells Mill. Subscribe to our posts and access our website for forms and information about what is happening at school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers programs designed for parents as well as students. Attend our PTA meetings to learn about keeping your child organized and focused at school, how to provide nutritional snacks and lunches, what happens when your child goes to Specials, and many more great topics.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions provide opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build a rapport and discuss parenting issues that are on your mind.
- Watch yourself Grow. By volunteering with our PTA, you gain valuable experiences and personal confidence. It’s an opportunity to put your skills and hobbies to good use for a good cause – helping our children.
- Speak Up. Because the PTA is a forum for exchanging ideas, you are encouraged to make suggestions and more effectively request changes at our school.
- Help Your Child Succeed. PTA fosters parent involvement. Parent involvement has been proven by three decades of research to be the greatest predictor of student success.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at our school you’ll be part of the solution, helping to make positive changes. Our PTA plays an important role in providing needed supplies for our teachers, curriculum-based programs, and social events – all vital to our school’s success.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.